cpp behavior problem

Neil Booth neil@daikokuya.co.uk
Thu Oct 24 23:08:00 GMT 2002


Sean McNeil wrote:-

> Hi folks,
> 
> I'm having trouble with the cpp.  Basically, it appears to be
> inconsistent in how it picks up included files.
> 
> If a routine includes a file with <>, then it will pick up my file from
> the directory in a -I command argument.  This file includes another file
> with "".  That file will only be picked up within the current include
> path or farther down.  This is not really documented anywhere.  The docs
> say any include using <> can be controlled with the -I- option.  I don't
> use this option, though.  I've got additional problems when I do (-I.
> ..... -I- -I. .... won't allow for the current directory searched when
> <> is used).

<> is supposed to be for system headers.  System headers can only
include other system headers, and so should be using <> too.
However, I don't see anything in the code that should be enforcing this.

Further, <> never searches the current directory.  "." is the compiler's
directory, not the current file's directory.

Neil.



More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list