solaris 2.7 binutils problem

Jeff Sturm jsturm@one-point.com
Mon Sep 24 07:23:00 GMT 2001


On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Nils Lohner wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:33:23 -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 12:46:36AM -0400, Jeff Sturm wrote:
> >> Regardless, configuring without arguments should build a usable
> >> compiler.
> >
> >I don't disagree.
> 
> I definitely agree.  Could the utilities in the path be checked first (I
> have the path with the GNU utils before the solaris ones), esp. since
> that's what I specify with --prefix=/sup for installation.

PATH is irrelevant.  The rules for finding as/ld/etc. are target-specific
and part of the compiler driver program.  This isn't precisely known at
configure time, which is exactly the problem: configure guesses wrong if
you don't supply the --with-gnu-as hint.

> mksh: Fatal error in reader: = missing from replacement macro reference
> Current working directory /sup/build/gcc-3.0.1/build/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/libjava
> *** Error code 1

You will need GNU make to build the java runtime.

Jeff



More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list