PR4114, 4113, 4082, 4078, (part of) 4096 plus other reports in gcc-bugs

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 22:35:00 GMT 2001


On Aug 27, 2001, Phil Edwards <pedwards@disaster.jaj.com> wrote:

> That all makes sense.  In my other message I was wondering why we do
> this all the time, and not (as the comments claim) only "if cross".
> For a native compile, shouldn't configuring for the host be the same as
> configuring for the target?  I /know/ I'm missing somthing here.

We want to use the stage3 compiler to build the target libraries, even
if we the bootstrap compiler can generate code for the target (= host).

>> As for clobbering the source tree in order to test this stuff, you may
>> use symlink-tree to create a mirror of the source tree and then build
>> in it, so it won't affect the actual source tree.

> I could have sworn that the Makefiles do this already.

Only for target libraries, when building with srcdir=objdir.

-- 
Alexandre Oliva   Enjoy Guarana', see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
Red Hat GCC Developer                  aoliva@{cygnus.com, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist    *Please* write to mailing lists, not to me



More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list