Your change to wchar_t

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Sat Nov 11 13:23:00 GMT 2000


Eric --

  This change has broken a lot of platforms -- they do contain
definitions of wchar_t in their headers.  

  I think that with hindsight we should not have put in this patch
until we had verified that it worked on non-GNU/Linux systems, or
until the appropriate fixincludes change was made.  That is, I think
we should avoid saying:

   >>> So go ahead: put in the patch and see what breaks.

when we have a good idea that things will break.  That causes
everyone's work to grind to a halt unncessarily.

  Additionally, your change broke at least one G++ regresion test:
g++.mike/p700.C.  You should have run `make check-g++' before making
this change, and seen this new failure, and submitted a test-suite
patch as well.

  I will try to get the test-suite failures and the fixincludes change
done ASAP, but in future we need to be more careful.

  Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell                   mark@codesourcery.com
CodeSourcery, LLC               http://www.codesourcery.com


More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list