g++ 2.95.2 does not provide useful error message when dynamic_cast fails

Steven Grady grady@digitaldeck.com
Wed Mar 8 00:31:00 GMT 2000


"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > Do you still fail to see the bug? If so, perhaps the job of handling
> > bugs should be given with a less narrow view of what is involved in
> > quality software.
>
> > It is not the bug-reporter's job to teach the bug-receiver proper
> > software quality techniques. It is not the bug-receiver's job to
> > insult the bug-reporter.
>
> I apologize if I was insulting, and I agree, in general, that the
> quality of diagnostics does matter. In this particular case, I still
> don't think it is a problem, so I guess I agree with you that I should
> not be dealing with your report, anymore.

Apology accepted. Again, however, it did cost me some time, which
a clearer error message would have saved me (and not because I am
unfamiliar with C++, but because I was working on someone else's
code). I hope that someone takes the patch I sent and considers
it for inclusion (or perhaps an improved version, since the one I
sent took about 5 minutes and was not based on an in-depth knowledge
of gcc).

    Steven





More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list