Cross compile is broken?

Jim Wilson wilson@cygnus.com
Tue Aug 31 22:45:00 GMT 1999


Sorry, but I don't think that I can solve your problems.  I don't know enough
about linux and GNU libc.  Also, some of the problems seem to be out of the
scope of this project.  We can not give people root access.

It sounds like you have very specific ideas about how a cross compiler should
work, but you haven't bothered to explain them.  Since I don't know what you
are trying to do, I can't help you.

Also, I think you are going about things the wrong way.  Root should not be
necessary unless you are installing gcc into /usr, and only someone who really
knows what they are doing (like a package distributor) should do that.  We
shouldn't be telling average users to configure --prefix=/usr.  If you
configure the intended way, then you won't have this problem.

	1. Linux doesn't use stmp-fixinc.

OK.  That is trivial to fix.  Move the code to a different rule, e.g.
stmp-int-hdrs.

	2. You may have to be root to create it.

Root is necessary only if you configured --prefix=/usr, which average users
should not be doing, so I don't see this as a problem.

Jim



More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list