BOOT_CFLAGS used with HOST

Gerald Pfeifer pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Sep 10 08:52:00 GMT 1998


gcc/Makefile.in says

  # BOOT_CFLAGS is the value of CFLAGS to pass
  # to the stage2 and stage3 compilations

so I thought this would be the right place to add -fsquangle[1].

  alpha[421]:~/OBJ% setenv | grep squangle
  BOOT_CFLAGS=-O2 -fsquangle
  LIBCXXFLAGS=-g -O2 -fsquangle

However, when I perform `gmake -e`, I get the following:

  stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/  -DIN_GCC    -O2 -fsquangle  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
  -DHAIFA -occp cccp.o cexp.o prefix.o version.o obstack.o     -lmld
  rm -f cpp
  ln cccp cpp
  gcc -c  -DIN_GCC    -O2 -fsquangle  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAIFA    -I.
  ^^^                     ^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^                     ^^^^^^^^^^
  -I/pd/egcs-1/egcs-1.1b/gcc -I/pd/egcs-1.1/egcs-1.1b/gcc/config
  /pd/egcs-1.1/egcs-1.1b/gencheck.c
  cc1: Invalid option `-fsquangle'

I would have assumed that BOOT_CFLAGS is only passed to stage1/xgcc
and stage2/xgcc according to that comment in gcc/Makefile.in, but
definitely not to the compiler used for building stage1.

Tested for egcs 1.1 on alphaev56-dec-osf4.0d with egcs-1.0.3a; same
error happens for egcs-current on i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.7 with gcc 2.7.

Gerald


[1] I now this specific option does not make much sense, but the same
    should happen for other options as well...
-- 
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/







More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list