egcs-981012 build error on Alpha OSF-4.0d

Jeffrey A Law law@cygnus.com
Wed Oct 14 00:43:00 GMT 1998


  In message < Pine.GSO.3.96.981013160414.996A-100000@lystra.lysator.liu.se >you 
write:
  > 
  > I have problems building the latest snapshot on my alpha-ev56-OSF4.0d
  > host. The error reported from the compiler is
  > 
  >  *** No rule to make target `libc-lock.h', needed by `filedoalloc.o'.
  > Stop.
  > 
  > I know this is a faq, but the faq-answer doesn't apply since I don't use
  > glibc and I can't get it since it's not ported to my platform AFAIK.
This bug in the CVS sources has been fixed.

  > Also, where are the install instructions? The INSTALL/README says:
  > 
  > > Instead check out the toplevel "wwwdocs" as a sibling of your egcs
  > > tree or read these files via the egcs web site
  > > http://egcs.cygnus.com
  > 
  > I haven't been able to find any "wwwdocs" directory on the ftpsite,
Nope.


  > nor any install instructions on http://egcs.cygnus.com .
Click on the egcs-1.1 release and you'll get to the install instructions.



  > I have tried both 'make LANGUAGES="c c++ f77"' and 'make bootstrap'
  > and I have tried gcc 2.8.1, egcs 1.1b and the native cc/cxx, all
  > fail to build the latest two snapshots. I have also tried installing the
  > whole source, or just the components needed, but nothing works.
Snapshots are expected to be unstable.  We make no attempt to verify that
they build.  They are *literally* snapshots of the development tree.

  > What should I do?
Analyze the build failures, fix the problem and send mail.
jeff



More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list