egcs-19980531, SunOS4 -fPIC fails on all programs now
Kaveh R. Ghazi
ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 23 07:14:00 GMT 1998
> From: Manfred.Hollstein@ks.sel.alcatel.de
> Subject: Re: egcs-19980531, SunOS4 -fPIC fails on all programs now
>
> On Thu, 11 June 1998, 18:43:23, manfred@s-direktnet.de wrote:
>
> Back in the office now. I'm just bootstrapping egcs with SunOS' native
> tools (exactly the same source; no CVS update in between); it's not
> yet finished, but the stage2 compiler doesn't show any problems:
>
> manfred
Thanks for the report. Based on the fact that it worked for
you, I looked more closely at my system and I think I've figured this
one out.
The original report was that my SunOS4 ld core dumped when
compiling any program with -fPIC. It turned out my SunOS4 system had an
older version of /bin/ld installed. When I upgraded to the latest
SunOS4 linker from sun's patch site, I was able to get -fPIC to work.
The particular patch ID was 100170-10.
We may want to put something in the FAQ to the effect that:
"EGCS built on older versions of SunOS4 may cause /bin/ld to core dump
due to bugs in the native linker (especially when using -fPIC.) To fix
this, you can either get the SunOS4 patch for ld (100170-10 or greater,)
or use the most recent version of binutils."
--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi Project Manager / Custom Development
ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu Icon CMT Corp.
More information about the Gcc-bugs
mailing list