egcs-19980531, hpux9 cc chokes: "too much defining - use -H option"

Kaveh R. Ghazi ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu
Wed Jun 3 17:33:00 GMT 1998


	When bootstrapping egcs-19980531 on hpux9 using cc for stage1,
I get the following error:

 > cc -DIN_GCC -g -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAIFA -I. -I. -I./config
 > 	-DUSE_COLLECT2 -DTARGET_NAME=\"hppa1.1-hp-hpux9.01\" -c `echo
 > 	./toplev.c | sed 's,^\./,,'`
 > ./rtl.h: 529: too much defining - use -H option
 > ./rtl.h: 530: too much defining - use -H option
 > ./rtl.h: 540: too much defining - use -H option
 > ./rtl.h: 541: too much defining - use -H option
 > ./rtl.h: 545: too much defining - use -H option
 > ./rtl.h: 546: too much defining - use -H option
 > ./rtl.h: 547: too much defining - use -H option
 > ./rtl.h: 548: too much defining - use -H option
 > ./rtl.h: 549: too much defining - use -H option
 > ./rtl.h: 550: too much defining - use -H option
 > ./rtl.h: 551: too much defining - use -H option
 > [etc...]

	I managed to get around thi by using the -H option (more
specifically, by setting CC to "cc -Wp,-H256000" before
bootstrapping.)

	I was wondering how one would enforce this automatically.
I.e. is there an established method to pass a CFLAG only during stage1
and only if using the native compiler?

		Thanks,
		--Kaveh

PS: FYI, the default for hpux9 is 128000 bytes for the macro table and
the breakage occurs up to around -H142000.  So using 256K (or even
512K) seems like a reasonable value.

--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			Project Manager / Custom Development
ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu		Icon CMT Corp.



More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list