thoughts on martin's proposed patch for GCC and UTF-8

Ian Lance Taylor ian@cygnus.com
Thu Dec 10 07:49:00 GMT 1998


   Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 23:02:40 -0800
   From: Per Bothner <bothner@cygnus.com>

   The locale for assembler files should probably also be UTF-8.
   I see no reason to support anything else.  What we might do
   is had gasp (the gas pre-processor) provide a hook for
   converting from other character sets.

As far as I'm concerned, gasp is dead.  It served a purpose for a
time, which was to provide a richer set of assembly language
operations.  However, gas itself now has all the interesting features
which were once found only in gasp (basically, macros).  I don't want
to see any plan that relies on using gasp.

   But gas itself
   should just assume UTF-8 - and generate ld symbols that
   are also UTF-8.  (A simple implementation is for gas to
   just recognize that bytes that have the high-order bit set
   should be treated as (part of) letters.)

This change has already been made in the development sources, and will
be in the next release.

Ian



More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list