template bug ?

Mark Mitchell mark@markmitchell.com
Thu Dec 3 19:24:00 GMT 1998


>>>>> "Alexandre" == Alexandre Oliva <oliva@dcc.unicamp.br> writes:

    Alexandre> I see your point, and I agreed with you until I found
    Alexandre> an example of this use in the Standard.  IMO, even

That's not normative.

    Alexandre> though the grammar does not allow this use, we'd better
    Alexandre> support it, maybe printing a warning, otherwise people
    Alexandre> will point at the snippet from the Standard and say
    Alexandre> egcs can't do template specialization.

It would help if you wouldn't tell them it was legal. :-) 

    Alexandre> Maybe Jason can get authoritative information from the
    Alexandre> Committee: did they really intend to allow this use or
    Alexandre> was the snippet included in the Standard by mistake?

Perhaps.  But, I don't really see why we should implement stuff that
is specifically not allowed by the standard.  Where there are
underspecified areas, it's nice to get input about intent, so that,
since we have to pick something, we can pick the right thing.

In this case, you're asking us to implement something that's clearly
disallowed by normative text, whether intentionally or not.

-- 
Mark Mitchell 			mark@markmitchell.com
Mark Mitchell Consulting	http://www.markmitchell.com



More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list