can?t compile kernel with egcs 1.0.2
Jeffrey A Law
law@cygnus.com
Tue Apr 14 23:31:00 GMT 1998
In message < 01BD66E8.67774F00.kaz@cafe.net >you write:
> For what my opinion may be worth, I would recommend that you compile
> your kernel with the old GCC. You should not trust your operating system
> to a bleeding-edge compiler.
Tee hee hee. The most common problem with linux kernels exposed by
egcs has been bugs in the linux kernel itself. In particular the
various str* asms are bogus.
It just happens to be the case that gcc-2.7 generated correct code
for them *most* of the time -- the times when it generated correct
code were by accident, not by design. egcs generates correct code
most of the time too, but like gcc-2.7 it does so by accident, not
by design.
I am in contact with the linux kernel folks about making some changes
into both the compiler and the asms to make them a little more
deterministic :-)
I run egcs-1.0.2 built kernels on both of my linux boxes :-) I don't
rebuild the kernel with each snapshot simply because I don't have
the time.
jeff
More information about the Gcc-bugs
mailing list