*ping* Re: [PATCH] PR fortran/89103 - Allow blank format items in format strings

Mark Eggleston mark.eggleston@codethink.co.uk
Mon Jun 10 14:10:00 GMT 2019


On 10/06/2019 15:07, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> Am 10.06.19 um 15:33 schrieb Mark Eggleston:
>> This patch is for a customer that has a huge codebase and that is the 
>> only reason for its existence.
>
> I didn't know gfortran as a whole has customers as such :-)
>
>> The error message has not changed. Making it more informative, 
>> indicating an option that will allow this non-standard usage, is a 
>> bad idea as it could result in its spread.
>
> OK, I understand that. So scrap the idea of pointing towards the
> option.
>
> However, making it more informative _without_ pointing towards that
> option is still a good idea (such as "missing item in format list").
That's a much better idea. I'll implement that and when it's ready I'll 
update the patch.
>
> If we want to allow legacy extensions to clutter our code, getting
> a more informative error message is something we can get in return,
> at least.
>
> Regards
>
>     Thomas
>
-- 
https://www.codethink.co.uk/privacy.html



More information about the Fortran mailing list