Building OpenCoarrays as part of building gfortran

Damian Rouson damian@sourceryinstitute.org
Tue Apr 14 01:15:00 GMT 2015


All,

Would there be any chance of success with submitting a patch that adds OpenCoarrays to the list of packages that gcc's contrib/download_prerequisites script downloads and to set up for OpenCoarrays to when gfortran builds?  I see only three packages in the script so I’m guessing the answer is “no” because OpenCoarrays is specific to a subset of codes compiled by one front end, but it never hurts to ask.

On a related note, I submitted a request to Macports asking that they create an OpenCoarrays port and make it a dependency for their gcc5 port.  Can anyone provide any guidance about how  (or whether) to do the same for yum and apt-get?  I get the sense that the latter two are different philosophically from macports.  Whereas macports operates independently from Apple and can build whatever it chooses however it chooses, I get the sense that yum and apt-get are more integral to Fedora and Debian, respectively, and there might be a lot of resistance to adding a dependency that only a small minority of users will exploit.

The dilemma is that there are many very competent users who rely exclusively on package management software for installing open-source codes.  Those users will only be able to compile single-image executables if gfortran installs without OpenCoarrays.

Damian


More information about the Fortran mailing list