RFC: INCLUDE, #include and preprocessing

Daniel Franke franke.daniel@gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 18:01:00 GMT 2008


On Monday 18 August 2008 19:51:27 Tobias Burnus wrote:
> PS: Do you plan to work on CPP items such as using cpp_include_defaults?

Later this year, when I got this real life project of mine off my chest.
May be (late) in stage3. I definitely plan to get rid of the PRs assigned to 
me before 4.4.


> PPS: Do you think I should get my CPP patch in for 4.4 even though it
> does very little. (Fortran comments are honored - that's all and not
> terribly useful. Before one can enable non-traditional-cpp, one needs to
> fix spacing (at least for fixed-Fortran code) and continuation lines of
> strings.) PR28662

One step at a time is fine. If Tom thinks it's suitable, it should go in. 
Don't forget to update the docs, they specifially mention at one place or 
another that fortran comments are not honoured.


> I think the line-length option might not be needed - or is it?
> Characters beyond column 72 are ignored in fixed-form Fortran; though I
> don't know whether this should have implications for parsing a .F file.

I'm not sure what you reference her?! Something like
   #define shortname some_really_long_and_verbose_expansion
? The long expansion will be parsed and "falls off" the line after the 72 
character. Probably, the parser will spit an error, will it be obvious what's 
wrong?


Regards

	Daniel



More information about the Fortran mailing list