The GNU Algol 68 Big Task List

Paul Leyland paul.leyland@gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 11:30:53 GMT 2026


 > Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2026 19:00:37 +0100
 > From: "Jose E. Marchesi" <jemarch@gnu.org>
 >
 > Hello people!
 >
 > Today I spent quite a lot of time reviewing my notes, and I managed to
 > put together a rather extensive task list to replace the old "Roadmap"
 > section in the wiki, which was oriented to the core language support,
 > which is almost done.
 >
 > I have already updated the wiki page at
 >
 >  https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/BPFFrontEnd
 >
 > with the contents below.
 >
 > Salud!
 > = The GNU Algol 68 Big Task List =
 >
 > In order to help people interested in contributing the entries listed 
here are
 > concrete tasks that should require little or no planning before being
 > undertaken.

...

 > == Crazy ideas ==
 >
 >  * [PROJ] User-defined coercions valid in strong contexts
 > {{{
 > { From JSON_Val to string for example. }
 >
 > coer JSON_Val to string = (JSON_Val val) string:
 >    json_str (val);
 >
 > { Only valid in strong contexts. They must be ordered somehow.
 >   With priorities? }
 > }}}

Not only implement parallel processing as in the RR but extend it in the
light of sixty years of research and implementation progress made since the
writing of the RR.

I see this as a long term project but could be incredibly useful in this 
era of multi-cpu systems.

Paul


More information about the Algol68 mailing list