Love My Book Club? with Review Direct

JULY 2018 REVIEW DIRECT CATALOG [1]

Book Club Burnout
by Amy Shamroe

	_"I drink to make other people interesting."_ --George Jean Nathan

	How many of you are in a book club? Anyone participate in more than one?
As a
book lover and an avid reader, I have made the rounds through book clubs
for
years. At this point I find I have a love/hate relationship with them,
definitely falling more in the hate category these days.

	My first experience with a book club was a wonderful thing. Maybe it
spoiled
me. In my late 20s I was forced, due to a layoff, to move back to my
hometown. I
was able to find work at a local bookseller, primarily working closing
shifts.
Having been away for years, most of my school friends were scattered to the
wind
and I lacked in social opportunities. The group was so welcoming almost
immediately I counted them all as friends - even if I was younger than the
next
youngest by 30 years. After a year or so in that book group, my schedule
changed
and I was no longer able to attend, but I still have the friendships.

	Since then, I have had varying success in joining and even forming other
book
groups. All of these new groups have allowed me to meet new people and make
new
friends. I even have a specific group of friends I call "my book club
group",
though our book club disbanded a couple years ago.

	So where does the hate come in? The core of my book club, about five us,
just
met last week for dinner, drinks, but no books. People try and sometimes
there
is a little discussion, but then it seems to quickly go off track once
again. At
the same time, the reason I consider sticking with this one is at least
they are
an honest group. Other book clubs have deceived me with a great book choice
that
lures me to a meeting only to end the night not saying one word about the
reason
for our meeting. This seems to be a common problem. Google "book clubs" and
half
the articles seem to be written by people complaining about the lack of
actual
reading.

	Book clubs can be about the book AND getting to know your friends, often
in
ways you never would at a happy hour. Or is this an elitist view?

	Share your book club experiences. Is yours on point and full of
discussion? Or
does your book club only manage to discuss a new red someone brought before
your
meeting is over? And what type of "book club" do you prefer

	_Amy Shamroe is the Director of the Traverse City Children's Festival and
Book
Awards Coordinator with Jenkins Group, Inc._

DON\'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THIS MONTH\'S REVIEW DIRECT TITLES HERE! [2]

	Please contact me with any questions or comments!

Kim Hornyak, Jenkins Group, Inc., khornyak@bookpublishing.com [3],
231.933.0445,
ext 1013

	Our intent is to keep you informed.
If you wish to no longer receive messages from Jenkins Group and Review
Direct,
simply click on the following link to change your preferences.
Change my subscription preferences. [4]

Links:
------
[1]
http://www3.dmpemail10.com/jenkins/main/index.php?action=t&tag=RD+0718&id=11377&viewers_email=libstdc%2B%2B%40gcc.gnu.org&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fjenkins.dmplocal.com%2Fmain%2F%3Fp%3Ddsc.get%26id%3DBqxjCFNBKrk
[2]
http://www3.dmpemail10.com/jenkins/main/index.php?action=t&tag=RD+0718&id=11377&viewers_email=libstdc%2B%2B%40gcc.gnu.org&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fjenkins.dmplocal.com%2Fmain%2F%3Fp%3Ddsc.get%26id%3DBqxjCFNBKrk
[3] mailto:khornyak@bookpublishing.com
[4]
http://www3.dmpemail10.com/jenkins/main/index.php?action=t&tag=Change+my+subscription+preferences.&id=11377&viewers_email=libstdc%2B%2B%40gcc.gnu.org&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fjenkins.dmplocal.com%2Fmain%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dunsubscribe%26id%3D11377%26viewers_email%3Dlibstdc%252B%252B%2540gcc.gnu.org