RE: [RFC] Proposal to contribute Intel’s implementation of C++17 parallel algorithms

Thank you Jonathan for prompt response.

Yes we plan to maintain Parallel STL for both C++ standard libraries as well as provide it with Intel Compiler and TBB (and on GitHub) for those who use older versions of the standard. Maintaining a single source would be much easier for us, so I very appreciate your willingness to be flexible.

> The only other effort I know of to implement this for libstdc++ is by Pekka
> Jääskeläinen and relies on GCC's offloading support

I think it would be ideal if GCC offloading could be used as a backend for the implementation. We can adjust the backend API if that's needed to support different "executors".
For start, I will study Pekka's presentation.

> It's possible this is too late to be added to GCC 8 (as our dev phase for GCC 8
> just finished). If it's entirely new C++17 code that doesn't affect the default
> C++14 mode we might be able to bend the rules a bit. We'd need to move quickly
> if we're going to do that though.

When I analyzed which GCC version we can intercepted, I did not even hope for GCC 8 :)
But if we could do that with the current implementation, that would be just great. I hope you or somebody else can look at our code, and decide if adding it to GCC 8 seems possible, and if so - what issues we should address.

Regards,
- Alexey