This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the libstdc++ project.
Re: [patch] Enable lightweight checks with _GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS.
- From: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely at redhat dot com>
- To: Florian Weimer <fw at deneb dot enyo dot de>
- Cc: libstdc++ at gcc dot gnu dot org, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, François Dumont <frs dot dumont at gmail dot com>
- Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 20:59:39 +0100
- Subject: Re: [patch] Enable lightweight checks with _GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150907182755 dot GP2631 at redhat dot com> <87r3mauiud dot fsf at mid dot deneb dot enyo dot de>
On 07/09/15 21:31 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Jonathan Wakely:
This patch adds the "debug mode lite" we've been talking about, by
changing __glibcxx_assert to be activated by _GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
instead of _GLIBCXX_DEBUG (and making the latter imply the former).
Interesting. Is this mode ABI-compatible with the default mode?
Yes, that's the main reason I want to make this change.
Should _FORTIFY_SOURCE imply _GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS?
Yes, I think it should.
You can read my notes on these "debug mode lite" checks at
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/LibstdcxxDebugMode (including "This should be
discussed with Glibc and security teams" and I specifically had you in
mind when I wrote that :-)
Your thoughts would be much appreciated, especially regarding
_FORTIFY_SOURCE and which kind of new checks you think would be
appropriate to add.