Re: C++98/C++11 ABI compatibility for gcc-4.7

On 06/16/2012 12:46 PM, Michael Matz wrote:

A soname change for a basic system library is a _major_ PITA and should be
avoided even at large costs.  In that light: do you have a plan of action
of how to never change the soname again, at least on targets where that is
reasonably possible with symversions?
I'd like to echo this. In my discussions shops doing large C++ development, they've made it clear that the disruption caused by a soname bump would be immense and should be avoided at all costs.

In fact, as we already use symversions also for libstdc++, a soname bump
should be avoidable already now.  Perhaps requiring some extensions to
mangling, or giving the "new" classes a different assembler name for
mangling purposes, or simply via the new namespace (I'm not sure that
solves all issues).  But even implementing special magic in the compiler
usable by the library to control its ABI/API would be worthwhile if a
soname bump can be avoided.
Agreed.

It's probably worth noting that at least some of the desire to bump the soname expressed to me was to enable moving forward from -fabi-version=2. I don't think we've seen any viable plan to get us away from the V2 abi without a soname bump.

jeff