Re: _FORTIFY_SOURCE for std::vector

On 06/01/2012 04:04 PM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
Well, you have the core file often (unless disabled), or could use addr2line to decode the addresses. The point is that the fortification checks must be very lightweight (so that people can enable them by default for everything), and e.g. storing __LINE__ and __FILE__ everywhere where operator[] is used would be too expensive (grow .rodata too much).
I see. Then, I'm coming to the conclusion that if we start deploying such lightweight checks in the normal-mode library we should document the thing in the library documentation, under "debugging". Just a few sentences explaining what you and Florian just clarified, vs debug-mode too.