Re: [libstdc++] doc/xml/manual/abi.xml -- fix references to GCC as well as GNU/Linux

Hi Jonathan,

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> How's this?  I think I got all the versions and dates correct, but I
> must say I find keeping some of this info in the manual to be tedious
> and unnecessary.

I agree, there is (too) much detailed and extra contents there
which does not actually strike me as helpful.

> To deal with the tedious parts, I changed a few repetitive instances
> of 4.1.0, 4.1.1, 4.2.0, 4.2.1, 4.3.0 etc. etc. to just 4.x.x which
> will be accurate in future and can be changed if it needs to be,
> rather than having to keep adding new entries that say the headers for
> GCC 4.6.1 are in include/c++/4.6.1 and, guess what, the headers for
> GCC 4.6.2 are in include/c++/4.6.2
>
> Would 4.*.* or 4.?.? be better than 4.x.x?

How about 4.x.y, to indicate that the second and third components
can be different?

> I'm not sure why we need to explicitly state the libgcc soname for
> every release when it's always the same.

Good point.  In fact, looking at your patch and the document, could
you just remove the third component in all cases (or nearly all)?  It
occurs to me that GCC 4.x, for fixed value of x, should be compatible,
if not identical in terms of characteristics, shouldn't it?

That would strike me as even more of a simplification.

And in those cases in your patch where it refers to GCC 3.3.x, for
example, it can just be GCC 3.3, so this also applies to regular
text, not just the tables.

> If noone objects to this approach I'll regenerate the HTML pages and
> check this in at some point in the next few days.
>
> If anyone objects, please find a volunteer to keep the tedious version
> up to date ;-)

I think with my proposal it'll become less tedious? :-)

Gerald