Re: bind1st fails to compile when argument type is a constant reference

Użytkownik Jonathan Wakely napisał:
2011/11/21 Krzysztof Żelechowski:
It would be awesome if you could also have a look at this section of the manual:

Chapter 9. Functors

If you don't know what functors are, you're not alone. Many people get
slightly the wrong idea. In the interest of not reinventing the wheel, we
will refer you to the introduction to the functor concept written by SGI as
part of their STL, in their http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/functors.html
<http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/functors.html>.

That site does not mention general binding at all.
Because it was written many years ago.

I did start writing an addition to that chapter of the manual, but
decided it was a waste of time.  The docs for Boost.Bind,
Boost.Function and Boost.MemFn do a pretty good job of describing
those components already.
So I would suggest adding just a note with hyperlinks to Boost:

Note: Some of the functionality described in the SGI documentation is obsolete and superseded with general utilities |bind|, |function| and |mem_fn| respectively. The respective items are available in namespace std or std::tr1, depending on the chosen language version.

I decided I could spend my weekend writing documentation that would probably be insufficient and not as good as e.g. "Beyond the C++ Standard Library: An Introduction to Boost" by Bjorn Karlsson, or "The C++ Standard Library Extensions: A Tutorial and Reference" by Pete Becker, or I could spend it actually implementing those features and fixing bugs so people can use them not just read about them. I chose the latter.

Patches welcome.
I am afraid I cannot create a regular patch at present because it would require compiling GNU C++ myself; I still have not solved the problems of missing sources reported by Doxygen and I cannot debug the build at the build service that deeply.

Thanks,
Chris