Re: [v3] Use Solaris prototypes if possible (PR libstdc++-v3/1773)

Hi,
On Tue, 9 Aug 2011, Rainer Orth wrote:

This patch is the last but one in the series to finally fix

PR libstdc++-v3/1773 __cplusplus defined to 1, should be 199711L

Only piece left before the switch :-)

    * include/c_global/cmath (double abs(double)): Wrap in
    !__CORRECT_ISO_CPP_MATH_H_PROTO1 &&
    !__CORRECT_ISO_CPP_MATH_H_PROTO2.
    (float abs(float), long double abs(long double): Wrap in
    !__CORRECT_ISO_CPP_MATH_H_PROTO1.
    (float acos(float), long double acos(long double)): Likewise.
[...]

I guess it would also be possible to reorder the declarations so as to have a single #ifdef (well, two), but then the various overloads of each function wouldn't be adjacent anymore.
Indeed. I would say let's not re-order for now, I'll have a further look later on.
    * include/tr1/cmath (float fabs(float), long double fabs(long
    double)): Wrap in !__CORRECT_ISO_CPP_MATH_H_PROTO1.

There is a comment: // Note: we deal with fabs in a special way, because an using std::fabs // would bring in also the overloads for complex types, which in C++0x // mode have a different return type.

and then it proceeds to using ::fabs and declare the float and long double overloads. Now on solaris, using ::fabs is going to be equivalent to using std::fabs. I don't know if that creates problems for the complex types, and in that case what can be done about it (declare fabs(double) instead of importing the global one?).
We have a testcase for that issue, see Rev 170083, testsuite/tr1/headers/c++200x/complex.cc. I think defining fabs(double) in namespace tr1 is not an option, because an actual definition vs an using leads to errors when the user does an using std::tr1 in the global namespace (a recurring issue, this one, we must be very careful). I think for now we have to live with a possible regression of the above testcase on Solaris, seems a relatively minor issue to me, nobody noticed the problem for *years*.