Re: debug mode performance patch

Hi,

> My Linux distrib is coming with autoconf 2.65. I try to run autoreconf and an assertion in the build scripts told me that the version is wrong like you said. However, I simply try to rebuild the lib and it works fine. Sorry about my limited knowledge of the libstdc++ build system, is there anything interesting to read about that ? Is it safe to submit the patch like that again or running reconfigure is mandatory ?

I would consider it mandatory, not because I can't do it, this time, but because if you are serious about GCC sooner or later you add a file and then you have to regenerate, you can't escape. Note that the version of both autoconf and automake *must* be strictly the right one, then everything is very very simple. If your machine has installed different versions - it happens to me too - you just install the version required for GCC in /local (which is the default when you build and install tge autotools from sources) then when you invoke 'autoreconf' it gets precedence, and everything works fine (also, stuff in /local is isolated and you can easily remove it). I'm sure there are also more elegant ways to manage these issues, the above is what I often actually do and can guarantee works absolutely smootly.

Paolo