Re: gdb pretty-printers for libstdc++

Tom> I can send instructions on getting and building the appropriate
Tom> branch if you want.  It is very easy to get started with.

I got a couple requests for this off-list, so I figured I'd just post
it so everybody can see.

You need git to check out the repository.  It takes a while because it
has all of gdb's history.

  git clone git://sourceware.org/git/archer.git

Now check out the correct branch:

  cd archer
  git checkout --track -b archer-tromey-python origin/archer-tromey-python

Make sure you have the python devel packages installed.
On Fedora:

  sudo yum install python-devel

Now configure and build as usual.

To try it out, apply the libstdc++ patch, build, and "make install".
Add the install tree $prefix/lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Now, run
the new gdb on some c++ program.  The pretty printers should
automatically be available -- you don't have to do anything special.
You can use the new "/r" flag to "print" if you want to avoid
pretty-printing.

Tom