Re: [RFC] Do we care about binary compatibility of code produced by cross-compilers?

-- Ian,
For example, while I don't know offhand whether this affects binary
compatibility, it is incorrect to not test GCC_CHECK_TLS when being
built by a cross-compiler. It's true that you can't get a complete
TLS test when being built by a cross-compiler, because you can't test
the kernel. However, GCC_CHECK_TLS has a reasonable fallback for that
case: if the compiler and the binutils support TLS, it assumes that
TLS is fully supported. GCC_CHECK_TLS should be invoked
unconditionally, not only if GLIBCXX_IS_NATIVE. The same is true of
many other--though not necessarily all--tests currently controlled by
GLIBCXX_IS_NATIVE.
I tried to make some progress in mainline, please have a look again.

As regards GCC_CHECK_TLS, at the moment I don't understand the test well enough to take an immediate action: in general I moved to unconditional testing (e.g., both native and crosses) either tests using only AC_TRY_COMPILE, or using GCC_TRY_COMPILE_OR_LINK, or linking only in non-default cases, controlled by a configure-time switch.

I don't think GCC_CHECK_TLS belongs to one of those "straightforward" cases, or, in other terms, I cannot convince myself that it's safe to move it as-is. Can you further help with it?

Thanks,