GSoC libstdc++ requirements/expectations

Hi,

I'm interested in applying for GSoC for GCC, because I do want to learn about GCC's internals; being also a passionate C++ programmer, I think helping with development of libstdc++ (for 0x features, for instance) could be a nice project.

What do you expect from a GSoC-student to work on libstdc++? I do not yet have much knowledge about GCC's internals, nor do I know much about C++0x, but I believe I've quite good a knowledge and experience about C (will there be any work in plain C or is libstdc++ pure C++?) and C++ or the STL as of C++98. Do I have to know something about POSIX (for instance) to work with threads and locks and the like? Or is it ok to learn anything according to this one during the project, so I can use this as opportunity to learn about GCC?

Thanks for your hints,
Daniel

--
Done:     Bar-Sam-Val-Wiz, Dwa-Elf-Hum-Orc, Cha-Law, Fem-Mal
Underway: Ran-Gno-Neu-Fem