Re: Offer to help with TR1 Math

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 10:57:20PM -0500, Ed Smith-Rowland wrote:
> A fellow physicist!  I'm a nuke myself.  I would say the basics of what
> I said in that email are still true.
> The biggest holes are still the Bessel and Neumann functions of
> arbitrary real order.  There is a scheme used by the GSL project and
> described in the second edition of Numerical Recipes that I think we'll
> adopt.

I have that book and can look in to it.

> The whole thing needs to be worked over for sanity and naming and
> commentary.
>
> Plus putting these functions through real use would really help.
>
> Anyhoo, help would be most welcome!  This material is, as one of my
> professors said, is "cut but not dried".  I guess that goes some way
> towards explaining why the C++ committee decided not to move these
> functions into the main C++ draft.
>
> *sniff*
>
> Anyway, maybe with another implementation the balance of power will
> shift . . .

I am looking at
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2005/n1836.pdf

Is that what you use as the current draft?  I see Bessel and Neumann
functions, just not of "arbitrary real order" -- is that your point?
I'm just trying to get up to speed on the project status.

> I'll send what I have tomorrow after I make sure it doesn't crash.

OK.  Great.