Re: Trivial clean-up patch for stl_tree

Gawain Bolton wrote:

trivial, indeed, but unfortunately doesn't pass make-check-abi, because the functions are exported...

Well, I guess this patch could be made non-ABI affecting by only changing stl_tree.h to remove the function declarations... The changes to tree.cc could be done when ABI changes are allowed.

But like that we are not winning big...

Ok, we can exchange ideas - my aim is to factorize code to reduce duplication and help save some time compiling by having code moved out of header files where possible. What are your objectives?

As you may have noticed, at some point, very close to a release, we had a wrong code bug due to an incorrect, very hacky cast in the SGI code. I fixed it quickly introducing duplication in the various insert with hint taking iterator and const_iterator. That should be be definitely improved. Also, when I fixed 22102 (i.e., implemented DR 233) on top of that suboptimal infrastructure, probably I made the situation slightly worse.

As I said, you are welcome to work on the above or anything else in this area, but for now please make sure the "ABI" in the wide sense (I mean interoperability between object modules too, not only vs the .so/.a library) is respected.

Thanks,