libstdc++ developing

Hi,

I'm in my final year of my studies(MSc) at the Faculty of Mathematics & Computer Science at the Warsaw University of Technology and I'm working on my final project.
In my project I'm going to develop libstdc++. The the subject of my project is: "Enhancing associative containers (map, multimap, set and multiset) in STL with the possibility of choosing the way of their implmentation".

Now associative containers in STL are implemented by use of red-black trees. What I want to do, is to enable the choice of implementation of these containers by adding one parameter to the templates, so that the containers could by be built by use of b-trees, just vectors or others structures.

I'm relatively new to the compiling process of GCC, so I have questions:
1. How to make changes in libstdc++ and how to test these changes in the easiest way?
Yesterday I sent a similar e-mail to gcc-help list, but I didn't get a satisfying answer, so I'm asking once again.

2. Is it possible to apply my changes to libstdc++, if they are succesful? What is the process of applying such changes to the GNU C++ standard library? Who could I consult with about my ideas of development the libstdc++?

Thanks in advance

Marek Zuk