Re: Strange behavoiur of ostringstream (tested on g++3.3.5/4.0.2)

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 10:22:52AM +0000, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> >     So, dear people, I would appreciate if you clear my possible
> >     misconceptions about C++, refer me to the knowledgeable
> >     authority able to give final answer on my question, or propose
> >     a workaround that is portable and not specific to VC++.

> Have you looked at boost::lexical_cast ?

> http://boost.org/libs/conversion/lexical_cast.htm

        Surely, I used it in another project. But it was not concise
        enough, as to me. Good for single cases, but too verbose and
        redundant for mass output. Anyway, it's just a wrapper over
        stringstreams, like my SFORMAT macro. Currently I am working
        on migration from printf-like formats to type-safe
        conversions provided by stringstreams, and I would like to keep
        our formatting expressions as concise with stringstreams as they
        were with printf-formats. And so, in creating this macro, I
        stumbled on this behaviour and decided to ask about it in MS
        newsgroups as well as in this maillist. May be my question is
        related to library developers, may be to compiler developers,
        now I don't know exactly, so I am trying to find a right person
        to contact.