Re: FW: Special functions in TR1

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 12:23 -0500, Smith-Rowland, Edward M (Contractor)
wrote:

> 6. The GSL methods and variables should probably not be in the global
> namespace - we would want to put them into a namespace that wouldn't collide
> or be visible: std::tr1::__gsl?

> Is anyone else thinking about this?

Well, I gave some thought on this a few months ago. I even implemented
the simple algorithms for some of the functions (but these certainly
have some numerical problems for some of the inputs). Then, I had a look
at gsl's implementations....

Personnaly, I would find much more interesting to re-write (and
simplify) the gsl routines and take advantage of C++, instead of
importing them. Typically, templates can be used to commonize most of
the float/double/... paths and exceptions (I do not remember if TR1
allows them but it should) are a much nicer way to signal problems
instead of error codes.

That being said I do not have advanced much further than that....
But if we have similar ideas, maybe I can help...

	Theo.