Re: Some Question abou libstdc++

Zhan Zhaohua <webpurchasing@yahoo.com> writes:

Many of your questions are answered here:
    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/faq/index.html
and here:
    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/17_intro/license.html

> 1.  We would like to know wether we have to obtain
> some special license or patent to be allowed to use
> libstdc++
>
> commercially because we will use libstdc++ in our
> product to be sold in the market. Though we know that
> libstd++ is under the GPL, we are still not quite sure
> what to do with the situation of commercial use.
>     By the way, Should we use the LGPL for the
> libstdc++?
>     If so, could you tell us the operation flow and
> how much money we have to pay for it if necessary.

You do not have to pay any money.  libstdc++ is not exactly under the
GPL; there is an exception to the GPL that covers libstdc++.  See the
reference above.

> 2.  Who or which group is the author of libstdc++? And
> which develop mode of the libstdc++ ? For Example: 1
> manager,2
>
> developer ...

libstdc++ is a free software project.  There is no manager in the
traditional sense.  There are mantainers.  The MAINTAINERS file
currently lists Paolo Carlini, Gabriel Dos Reis, Ulrich Drepper, Phil
Edwards, Benjamin Kosnik and Loren J. Rittle.  For a complete list of
contributors, see the ChangeLog files in the source code.

> 3.  Which test method of the libstdc++? (I find the
> test scripts in the src code.Is it used the test
> scripts in the
>
> development.)

The libstdc++ testsuite is included in the code and used with
development.

> 4. Which Company or person provide the commercially
> support? And how much does it cost?

There are several companies which provide commercial support for
libstdc++, including but not limited to Red Hat, CodeSourcery,
Specifix, and Wasabi Systems.  Please contact them directly to learn
what they offer and what it costs.

Ian