Re: Hunting for performance regressions in libstdc++

Dan Kegel wrote:

I have a sneaking suspicion that some of my app's
performance problems might be due to gcc-3.4.3's libstdc++
being somehow slower than SGI's STL, so I'm planning
on doing some performance testing of various implementations
of STL.

Rather than building my app with the various STLs
(which might be somewhat painful), I'd like to start
with small to medium benchmarks.

If you want to find regressions within libstdc++, and compared to SGI's STL, then has been discussed I'd expect a) you won't find alot (except possibly with relation to the allocator, which has changed from time to time), and b) you'd have to use the same compiler and different libraries.

A more likely possibility is that the compiler has regressed with respect to compiling libstdc++-v3 (for example, while partly fixed now, PR19078 effects std::find, which used used internally by a number of algorithms). Finding such regressions could of course also be handy.

The obvious question about your app is have you tried profiling it? Unless you are seeing functions from inside the STL high up the list of most-used functions, then it probably isn't their fault :)

Chris