Re: trimming STL's memory pool

Ben wrote:

>>Actually, this is the case only of GCC 3.3.x, not
>>GCC 3.4.x and 4.0.x.
>>
>From what I see this *is* the case with 3.4.x
>( try the sample code below), I didn't try
>it with 4.0.x though

Then you are using a 3.4.x not default configured. Maybe you are not
building it yourself, I have no idea. I can reassure you that, with
Benjamin, we decided to have the trivial (just forwarding to new/delete,
therefore malloc/free) allocator as the default for 3.4.0. And it's
still there as default now, if anything for binary compatibility.

If you are still seeing ""pooling"" effects of the kind you are
mentioning from a default configured 3.4.x, then maybe are due to the
underlying malloc... ;)