Re: PATCH: Run V3 tests on installed compiler

Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

In practice, how do you pass a list of just files in say
testsuite_27/basic_istream? Or testsuite/tr1? Or testsuite/ext?

You can use:

runtest --tool libstdc++ normal.exp=`find $srcdir/17_intro -name *.cc`

or:

runtest --tool libstdc++ normal.exp=`cat testsuite_files`

(I just tried this with a "testsuite_files" that contained just a few tests, and it worked fine.)

This the same procedure that you can use elsewhere in the compiler; it's the normal DejaGNU way of doing things. I think that if we can make the V3 testsuite work more like the other testsuites, without making it harder for you to do development, then that's a win.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/test.html

Please bother to read it before complete changing things underneath our
feet, without warning. If you're changing current practice, please
update this doc at the same time.

OK. If you do not ask me to revert my patch, I will update that document to use the example above to show how to feed the contents testsuite_files into DejaGNU.

I'm also surprised in that there was no negative reaction to Geoff's patch, other than the technical problem that it didn't work with multilibs. I didn't see any indication that the V3 maintainers were unhappy with the concept.

A way to repair the damage would be to keep the testsuite_files makefile
rules, not have it run by default, and *if this files exists* (ie
maintainers have run the make rule) use it for the files, if not
generate dynamically. That would allow library maintainers to keep this
more efficient workflow, and allow you to test install as well.

To be clear, the rules are still there, and are in fact still run by default. I wonder if the fact that my initial message was unclear about what was actually checked in vis a vis what I'd like to do in future has muddled the situation so badly that you're not able to discern what's actually happened?

Your plan would work too, but rather than having DejaGNU look for the file, I think it would be technically better to have the user use the normal DejaGNU mechanisms for selecting which tests to run. Perhaps, we could put the logic you're looking for into the Makefile, so that "make check-maintainer" automatically passed in testsuite_files, if typing the runtest command manually is noxious. I don't feel very strongly about this; if you think its vital that DejaGNU look for the file, I'll make that change ASAP.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC