Re: [v3 patch] Add std::tr1::shared_ptr

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 11:55:05AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 01:16:05PM +0000, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> >
> > This adds <tr1/memory> which covers section 2.2 of TR1 - smart pointers.
> >
> > The code was taken from Boost with permission of the authors. The
> > <tr1/memory> header contains code from several Boost headers in one
> > file, which currently has the copyright statements from all those files.
> > Someone should check I've done everything I need to in order to add this
> > code to GCC and that the copyrights are OK.
>
> You've added code with an FSF copyright notice that is "also" copyright
> other individuals.  Does "permission of the authors" include FSF
> copyright assignments?  If not, I'm not sure this should be added to
> libstdc++.

Hi Daniel,

The authors were aware I was planning to add the code to GCC and that
the copyright will be assigned to the FSF (as with all GCC code).

I expected to need something more rigourous than emailed permission,
but didn't know what exactly would be needed.  I'll get back in touch
with all the authors and get whatever permission is needed, I'm sure
it won't be a problem as they've said yes already.

So ... what exactly do I need to get from the original authors to make
this official?

N.B. a similar situation exists with
libstdc++-v3/include/bits/boost_concept_check.h which was taken from
Boost and has this notice in addition to the FSF copyright:

// (C) Copyright Jeremy Siek 2000.  Permission to copy, use, modify,
// sell and distribute this software is granted provided this
// copyright notice appears in all copies. This software is provided
// "as is" without express or implied warranty, and with no claim as
// to its suitability for any purpose.

I already have a copyright assignment with the FSF, so my changes to the
Boost files are covered.

jon

--
"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago."
	- Bernard Berenson