Re: [v3 patch] Add std::tr1::shared_ptr

Hi Benjamin,

Benjamin, we are all for Jonathan work, no doubt about this. However,
don't see,
honestly, why one should add directories before hand. I never add directories before
the actual commit. Or, for that matter, why one should cvs add individual files
before the actual commit. I never do that and everything works fine
here...

Here, let me recap.

Jonathan posted a patch using 'cvs diff -N' so that new files are part
of the patch. To make this work, you need to 'cvs add x' where x is the
new file or directory. All this is absolutely fine: his new additions
are local until a 'cvs commit.' This is what I mean when I say that
Jonathan's actions and procedure for submitting this patch are fine and
within the realm of acceptable etiquette: there was some confusion on
this point and I just wanted to clarify it.

Agreed about this.

What's actually in cvs is mirrored on the gcc-cvs list, on the web. If
you look at this list, you will see that Jonathan hasn't committed
anything without approval.

Definitely. Still, I don't like *in principle*, that now the CVS has got some
new directories that no one has approved. I'd like to stress again: *in principle*,
because we all agree that Jonathan is doing a wonderful job. Jonathan knows
that and knows that, *I* solicited posting his work!

Thus, your wondering about the new directories is, IMHO, unfounded.

Hummm... ;)

As far as doing this operation without 'cvs add' well, you could attach
the new file, but then 'patch -p0 < p.whatever' won't work without
additional manual effort. Or, am I just not understanding you?

Why would not work? Indeed, I think it's the most appropriate way to proceed
in such cases. I'm doing this *always*, I never touch the CVS repository before
the actual commit, I never create dirs in advance.

Maybe you are missing -N?!?