Re: Locales

Hi,

I'd appreciate some clarification here and will gladly file a bug if
appropriate.

I think that the best way to clarify the matter is showing what we are
actually doing when a named locale is needed:

 std::locale
 try_named_locale(const char* name)
 {
   try
     {
       return std::locale(name);
     }
   catch (std::runtime_error& ex)
     {
       // Thrown by generic and gnu implemenation if named locale fails.
       if (std::strstr(ex.what(), "name not valid"))
         exit(0);
       else
         throw;
     }
 }

Therefore, the current behavior is definitely not accidental.

That said, I agree that the present situation is not optimal, but I'm also
sure that we do *not* want hundreds of XPASSes!

In my opinion, very-very roughly, testcases involving not available named
locales should not be run at all. This would require a preliminary check
before running the testsuite. But, if we decide to go this way, we should
make sure is obvious from the results *why* some tests are not run...

Benjamin??

Thanks,