Re: Style of libstdc++ header files

Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

Thanks for your observations Wolfgang. Your efforts on g++ are
definitely appreciated, and I look on in amazement at some of the
reduction feats that you have pulled off in bugzilla.

My request therefore would be if the libstdc++ people could comment if it is possible to gradually move away from their style of using inlined function definitions, and towards a style where function declarations and definitions are always clearly separated. I understand that this is a huge change, but one that could make the life of us bugmasters so much easier!

This will, of course, make the libstdc++ include files bigger for
everybody else... but perhaps only marginally so.

It would be worth measuring compile times before doing that. Parsing declarations is expensive, and you'll now have two for every function.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC