Re: [v3] Return of the son of fp printing.

Joseph S. Myers writes:
 > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Phil Edwards wrote:
 >
 > > On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 07:11:41PM -0400, Jerry Quinn wrote:
 > > > Glibc uses a version of GMP under the
 > > > covers for its printing and it seemed like too much work and licensing hassle
 > > > to bring it over.
 > >
 > > It's already required to build F95, and there's increased pressure to
 > > import it into the GCC tree.  So this may not be so far away as you think.
 >
 > GMP is LGPL, libstdc++ is GPL+exception, so would this raise any licensing
 > issues for libstdc++?

I'll leave the licensing questions for others, but this is why I originally
shied away from pulling in glibc's printf code to do this stuff.

 > Would this be including just a few bits of GMP built for the target (in
 > addition to building it for the host as required for gfortran unless the
 > system has a recent enough version) in libstdc++, as a few bits are
 > included in glibc, rather than linking all C++ programs against libgmp as
 > well as libstdc++?

We would need basic GMP arithmetic and conversions to and from floating point
types.  Since this code would be used for floating point printing, that
probably means many C++ programs linking it in.

Jerry