Re: Should basic_*stream::is_open() be const?

On Aug 12, 2004, at 5:24 PM, Andreas Kohn wrote:

Hi,

while porting some code written for Microsoft Visual C++, I found that
the is_open() method of the different streams in <fstream> is not const.
This required that I had to remove const from a lot of places in the
code in question.

The basic_filebuf::is_open() is marked as const, and all
*stream::is_open() methods only reference basic_filebuf::is_open() in
their is_open() implementation.
I do not see a particular reason why the is_open() methods couldn't be
const as well.

I do know that there is a C++ Standard, but I don't have it for
reference, so I am not perfectly sure if this is a "bug" in libstdc++,
the Microsoft STL implementation, or perhaps an omission from the
standard.

The latter. http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/lwg-defects.html#365

--Matt