[RFC] libstdc++/16956 vs interpretation of 27.7.1.3, p13

Hi,

this PR basically questions our interpretation of the standard: we have *always* (in v3) interpreted 27.7.1.3, p13 as meaning that the return value is pos_type(newoff), where newoff has the value computed *before* changing xnext: in other terms, we return the "old position", as per Table 91.

According to submitter we should return instead the "new position", corresponding to a newoff evaluated *after* updating xnext.

Well, Icc/Dinkum appear to agree with this different reading and, in fact, the wording of the standard: "pos_type(newoff), constructed from the resultant offset newoff (of type off_type), that stores the resultant stream position, if possible." seems rather favourable to it...

Changing this behavior is very easy but it's important to reach a complete agreement about the issue.

Thanks,