Re: PATCH: V3 support for arm-none-symbianelf

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 12:11:51AM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> ! // A freestanding C runtime may not provide "free" -- but there is no
> ! // other reasonable way to implement "operator delete".

A language nit: over the years I'm spent working with colleagues for whom
English is a second language, I've repeatedly encountered confusion over
the meaning of "may not", as it can have two very different meanings.

1. "Mommy, can I go over to Billy's house?"
   "No, you may not."

2. "There may not be enough snow for skiing next weekend."

In any case, I've repeatedly seen people getting confused on this (even
native speakers, though it's harder still for English learners); someone
will read your comment as saying that a freestanding C runtime is
*forbidden* to provide "free".

So, I figured I could use "must not" for #1 and "might not" for #2, only
to have even more fun with a couple of German colleagues: in German
"du musst" means "you must", but "du musst nicht" means "you don't have
to", and this misunderstanding once resulted in an interesting incident.