Re: [Lsb-wg] opposition to LSB 2.0 rc1

On Sul, 2004-08-01 at 00:11, Per Bothner wrote:
> The opinion of the FSF (I don't remember RMS's exact wording) is that
> a "Linux Standard Base" is not relevant to GNU.

Thats why I asked what the gcc steering committee thought not what RMS
thought. The steering committee at least know a bit about the LSB
project.

> In fact, it's kind of strange:  LSB seems to be trying to define an
> application binary interface (in the general sense, including file
> system standards), for which the choise of kernel should have no
> relevancy (except for marketing).

You can perfectly well build an LSB compliant system without using the
Linux kernel. That has always been considered important. This is getting
off the relevant topic however. If someone turns up with a FreeBSD that
meets the spec and wants to argue that the naming is wrong good for
them, they will have a point.

Alan