Re: [Patch] Fix istream::ignore + minor things

Paolo Carlini wrote:
Martin Sebor wrote:

FWIW, in my experiments with gcc 3.2 on IPF, the gcc optimizer
didn't seem to take any noticeable advantage of the hint.

Thanks for your detailed data, actually the first I can actually see with
my eyes about this issue.

Well, the first observation is obvious: nothing about x86, x86-64 or
powerpc, something a little more, popular, so to speak ;) ?

I chose IPF over IA32 because the processor's instruction set includes branch prediction hints (plus, pretty much anybody has access to an IA32 box so if they're interested they can easily see the effect of the hint there :). I don't have access to AMD systems and I don't have a recent gcc on PPC (and I don't have the time to build it).

Martin