Re: [Patch] mt_allocator: spare mem & fix alignment problems

Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

...rope certainly seems implicated. It is strange, however, that this
only fails with __mt_alloc and not with new_allocator or __pool_alloc.

Yes, puzzling. Something I still don't fully understand about mt_allocator is
the logic in deallocate: for instance, from the comments you would believe
that remove is always > 0. Well, if one put there a stupid printf and run
allocator/insert.cc learns that for B7-B17-B22 THREAD and for
T7-T17-T22 THREAD it becomes as small as -127000 !?!?!

We need to deprecate rope. We have no evidence that it's being used, and
it's the sole user of other crusty files. People who are curious about
it can just dig through the archives.

I'll propose a patch to do so immediately after 3.4.0.

Too bad, I would say. Because after all I agree that algorithmically there is
something very interesting in it. I learned only a few days ago that Hans Boehm,
yes *that* Hans Boehm, created it around 10 years ago...