default allocator, overriding @ runtime

All,

I did a quick perusal over the mailing list archive and read the
thread about [v3] allocator switches.  I didn't completely follow it
though - I don't think it directly answers the question I'm asking...

The question I have is, is it possible to override/replace the default
allocator with my_favorite_allocator at runtime?

along the lines of GLIBCXX_FORCE_NEW

i.e.

Can I take a previously complied program using libstdc++, and use a
combination of GLIBCXX_FORCE_NEW and/or LD_PRELOAD to get all
containers to use my_favorite_allocator instead of the default one?

TJ

--
Trey Jackson
tjackson@ichips.intel.com